Oh, that’s the spirit! Last on my 007 Marathon was From Russia With Love, which means that next up, it’s 1964’s Goldfinger, the epitome of the Bond film and a strong contender for my favorite 007 outing to date.
I really enjoyed both Dr. No and From Russia With Love, but Goldfinger took things to a whole other level. What the previous two films lacked in Bond tropes, Goldfinger made up for in spades. It finally introduces the Aston Martin, it’s got a great villain with a goofy sidekick, a plethora of wacky gadgets, and a Bond girl with a ridiculous name.
I had a ton of fun with Goldfinger, and found myself laughing out loud (in the best possible way) with each addition of Bond elements that I was familiar with but had yet to see on screen.
I could go on and on about all of the things I loved about this movie, but to save us both some time I’ll just list a bunch of them instead:
- Easily the coolest cold-open to date, ending in a very clever zinger: “Shocking.”
- Bond unzipping his wet suit to reveal a pristine (and very dry) white tuxedo underneath
- Our first Bond theme song with actual lyrics
- Shirley Eaton covered in gold paint – easily one of the most iconic film images of all time. I really wish I hadn’t seen that before seeing this movie.
- Q briefing James on all the new gadgets, and getting offended when James suggests he’s joking (“I never joke about my work, 007!”)
- The Aston Martin!
- Cinema’s one and only exciting sequence about golf? I think so.
- Goldfinger’s stupid henchman, Oddjob, who throws the hat at the statue. Again, something I wish I didn’t know about prior to seeing the movie
- Was not expecting Tilly (Tania Mallet) to get killed by that damn hat though! Priceless.
- That guy who gets ejected from the car! Total laugh-out-loud moment.
- Goldfinger’s whole scheme about destroying America’s gold supply. It’s nice to see a guy who just wants to f*** some shit up instead of take over the world.
- His big elaborate presentation about his plan which results in him killing the people he just told it to.
- Bond strapped to a table with a very slow laser beam on it’s way to kill him! Oh my god.
- “No Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE!” Oh man, I’ve always thought that line was a joke. That easily got the biggest joyful laugh out of me.
- Pussy Galore is awesome. And a badass who doesn’t easily fall for Bond’s charm.
- What’s with her army of sexy helicopter pilots?
- Bond shuffling around Fort Knox handcuffed to that big wheeled tray thing.
- The big fight with Oddjob inside Fort Knox. I can’t believe Bond throws a solid gold bar at him. Only in the movies, folks.
- The bomb stops at 0:07. Very clever.
- Goldfinger getting sucked out of the airplane window.
- “Now is not the time to get rescued.”
Such a fun movie! It’s cool seeing the birth of all the Bond film tropes that I’m tangentially familiar with thanks to years and years of seeing it all play out in pop culture. This film has it all, which honestly has me a bit worried about my next viewing: Thunderball. There’s just no way that it can be as good…